Establishing Setting – Narrative Writing Prompts for Middle School
Help your students with establishing setting in their narrative writing with these visual writing prompts. Your students will LOVE creating unique settings in response to these prompts. These slides are quick and easy to assign or display and take just 5-10 minutes per day, making them perfect ELA warm-ups, bell-ringers, or stations!
Here’s what you’ll get:
Your digital link will come will 30 writing prompts to help your students improve on establishing setting.
Students will be prompted to establish settings from:
- Sentence Starters (Where I come from…)
- Mentor Texts (Imitate how the author creates a scene of contrast. Describe the first setting that comes to mind, then contrast it with, “I could picture…”
- Visual Prompts (Describe where this gate leads…)
In addition, students will be asked to incorporate imagery as they build their story settings by:
- Describing what a setting looks like
- Describing what a setting sounds like
- Describing what a setting feels like
- Describing what a setting smells like
- Creating a setting with a particular mood
Prep is quick and easy… Just display the writing prompt on your projector or SmartBoard and have students write in their notebooks, or assign the writing prompt on a digital learning platform and have students type on the provided slides.
A quick tip for teachers…
- Read the prompt, and set the timer for 5-10 minutes.
- Encourage students to keep their pencils moving the entire time.
- Don’t be afraid to write alongside them!
- At the end of the quick write session, invite students to discuss or share their thinking.
In my classroom, we start our daily writing lesson with a quick write prompt! We use a wide variety of prompts throughout the year to spiral review our writing techniques.
»If you’d like to know more about using quick writes in the classroom, read my blog post here.
You may also like…
⭐️ Want to bundle and save? ⭐️
Check out the to get access to this set of writing prompts plus all of the sets listed above for 30% off!
Have a question?
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll get back to you within 24 hours.
Don’t forget to leave feedback! I love to hear what my buyers say, how the product worked for them, and any feedback I can use to improve my product!
✔️ Follow me to be notified when I’ve posted new products. New products are always 50% off for the first 48 hours!
✔️ Subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for tips, ideas, and activities that make teaching middle school ELA feel engaging and purposeful.
Thanks so much,
Copyright © Hey Natayle.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.