Cooperation Squares First Day of School Activities and Icebreakers
Cooperation squares are one of the first day of school activities you didn’t know you needed! This hands-on icebreaker is guaranteed to promote teamwork, concentration, and focus as students join forces and work together to conquer a silent mission. Engaging, kinesthetic fun that sets the tone for a successful back to school season.
✔ Check out the preview for a closer look at this first day of school activity!
► How does this icebreaker work?
- Students are placed into groups of 3-5.
- Each group will receive a set of envelopes containing 15 puzzle pieces.
- When the mission begins, students must silently strategize to put together five perfect squares without talking (nonverbal/silent cooperation).
- Group members may give puzzle parts to others in the group if they think they might help them complete their square but may not speak or signal for puzzle pieces.
This is one of my favorite first day of school activities because it’s inclusive, hands-on, and fosters teamwork from day one. Plus, with a focus on collaboration, Cooperation Squares will help establish an engaging environment that builds relationships from the start.
You can also use this back to school activity anytime you need to build community – in homeroom, in a remedial or specialty course, or even later in the school year!
► What Do I Need for Cooperation Squares?
- Various 8.5 x 11” Colored Paper
That’s it! Set aside 10-20 minutes to cut out each set of cooperation squares and stuff each puzzle set into envelopes for your different groups.
You might also like these other back to school activities:
- Bitmoji First Day Slides
- Student Introductions & Interest Inventories
- Language Arts Stations for the First Day of School
Have a question?
Please email me at email@example.com. I’ll get back to you within 24 hours.
Don’t forget to leave feedback! I love to hear what my buyers say, how the product worked for them, and any feedback I can use to improve my product!
✔️ Follow me to be notified when I’ve posted new products. New products are always 50% off for the first 48 hours!
✔️ Subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for tips, ideas, and activities that make teaching middle school ELA feel engaging and purposeful.
Thanks so much,
Copyright © Hey Natayle.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.